Frequently Asked Questions

What's the difference between a Pay-As-You-Go (PAYG) card and a Season card?

Pay-As-You-Go (PAYG) is usually a better fit if you travel occasionally or don't do the same journey all the time. Season cards are designed for the regular traveller, using buses and trams more than three times a week.

Adult PAYG cards are bought and topped up from the on-street ticket machines near your bus stops, or online, so no need to come into the travel centre at the Nottingham Tourism Centre (located adjacent to Old Market Square).

What if I don't want my Robin Hood card anymore?

If you have a card that you don't want anymore and it has balance remaining, you can get a refund by bringing the card to our travel centre at the Nottingham Tourism Centre. We will refund the balance remaining less a £3 administration fee.

Refunds are not available unless you have registered your card with us (Season cards are already registered). You can register your card here. Your card must be registered at least 24 hours before you report it lost or stolen to qualify for a refund.

Only the person who registered the card can get the refund.

Do all buses accept Pay-As-You-Go (PAYG) cards?

Unfortunately not, the technology needed to accept PAYG cards is not universally accepted yet. Currently, the main bus and tram operators that accept PAYG are NCT, trentbarton, NET tram, Kinch and Nottingham Community Transport. We are working with the remaining operators who can't accept PAYG to try and align their systems so they can accept PAYG. For more information about the boundaries and participating operators please see the where can I use it page.

How do I know how much money or how many days are left on my card?

You can check the balance on your card:

How do I get a Robin Hood Student Season card?

You can get a Student card in person at our Travel Centre at the Nottingham Tourism Centre or online.

Can I pay for my travel by Direct Debit (DD)?

Yes, Adults and Under 19s can pay by Direct Debit for Season Tickets. You will need to pop into our travel centre in the Nottingham Tourism Centre to complete the Direct Debit Mandate form, where you will need to provide bank details.

My card has stopped working on the bus, what do I do?

If there were several beeps and a red error message on the screen when you presented your card you may not have enough funds left on your card for travel. Firstly, check you have enough balance left on your card, you can do this at the on-street ticket machines or via the mobile app. If you have enough balance left and your card still isn’t working, please contact us by emailing [email protected] and providing us with your name, and the last 8 digits on your Robin Hood card to help us investigate.

If you card did not react at all with the reader when you boarded the bus, your card may be faulty. Please contact us by emailing [email protected] and provide us with your name, and the last 8 digits on your Robin Hood card to help us investigate.

Has my card been blocked?

If you have tried to use your card on a Bus, Tram or at a ticket machine and your card has been blocked please contact us via email at [email protected] to find out why. Please include your full name and the last 8 digits of your card number. If you know where and when you last used it – i.e. day/approximate time and what service, that would be a great help.

When using the on-street ticket machine to top up my card, it seems that my payment failed what do I do?

Occasionally one of our on-street machines may not be able to take your payment. There could be a number of reasons for this but don’t worry, if the payment fails we haven’t taken any money. You can try another machine to buy your top up. If you are able to let us know which machine, you had a problem with (street or bus stop name) we can get someone out to check it email [email protected]

How do I top up online?

PAYG cards that have been registered can be topped up online. You can register here, which is also where you top up your card. For the credit to be added to your PAYG card, you will need to visit one of the on-street ticket machines and follow the instructions on screen.